Monday, February 19, 2007

But all ends well?(I don't know. It's a mystery)

Aalis na ako today, 1:30PM flight for Brunei, then the following day to Middle Earth.

And all I can think of is this last bit from Marc Norman & Tom Stoppard's Shakespear In Love.

***
INT. THE CURTAIN THEATRE. STAGE. DAY.

WILL
(heartbroken, testing her
name)
My Lady Wessex?

VIOLA nods, heartbroken too. For a long moment they
cannot say anything to each other. The she holds up
Wessex's purse.

VIOLA
A hired player no longer. Fifty
pounds, Will, for the poet of true
love.

WILL
I am done with theatre. The playhouse
is for dreamers. Look where the dream
has brought us.

VIOLA
It was we ourselves did that. And for
my life to come I would not have it
otherwise.

WILL
I have hurt you and I am sorry for it.

VIOLA
If my hurt is to be that you will
write no more, then I shall be the
sorrier.

WILL looks at her.

VIOLA (CONT'D)
The Queen commands a comedy, Will for
Twelfth Night.

WILL
(harshly)
A comedy! What will my hero be but the
saddest wretch in the kingdom, sick
with love?

VIOLA
An excellent beginning
(a beat)
Let him be…a duke. And your heroine?

WILL
(bitterly)
Sold in marriage and half way to
America.

VIOLA
(adjusting)
At sea, then--a voyage to a new
world?…she lands upon a vast and empty
shore. She is brought to the
duke…Orsino.

WILL
(despite himself)
Orsino…good name

VIOLA
But fearful of her virtue, she comes
to him dressed as a boy

WILL
(Catching it)
and thus unable to declare her love

Pause. They look at each other. Suddenly the conversation
seems to be about them.

VIOLA
But all ends well.

WILL
How does it?

VIOLA
I don't know. It's a mystery

WILL half smiles. Then he's serious. They look deeply at
each other…and rush into each other's arm.

WILL (CONT'D)
You will never age for me, nor fade,
nor die.

VIOLA
Nor you for me.

WILL
Good bye, my love, a thousand times
good bye.

VIOLA
Write me well.

She kisses him with finality. Then turns and runs from
him. WILL watches as she goes.


***
See you all soon.

[Stopping tears.... falling... look up... :)]

No comments: